Man Suffers Severe Burns In Backyard Grill Fire

Untitled design (47)

Are you planning a summer BBQ? Gas grilling can be dangerous if not done correctly. Unfortunately, one man found this out the hard way when his backyard grill caught fire and he suffered severe burns.

Read on to learn what happened and how you can take safety measures when gas grilling.

Introduction: Man Suffers Severe Burns In Backyard Grill Fire

Grilling is a popular outdoor activity, but mishandling the grill can lead to dangerous accidents. In a recent incident, a man involved in lighting a backyard grill with a gas can suffered severe burns when the can caught fire.

It’s essential to follow the proper safety measures when lighting a grill to avoid such incidents. Here are some tips to ensure a safe grilling experience:

  • Use a grill lighter or long matchstick instead of a gas can to ignite the fire.
  • Check the grill for leaks and rust before use.
  • Keep the grill at a safe distance from flammable items and structures.
  • Wear heat-resistant gloves and use tongs to handle the food.

Pro Tip: Always keep a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit nearby while grilling.

Man Lighting Backyard Grill With Gas Can Catches Fire

A man suffered severe burns in a backyard grill fire after he attempted to light it with a gas can, causing a dangerous explosion.

Gasoline is extremely flammable and should never be used to start a fire or ignite any flame. To avoid such accidents, follow these tips while lighting your backyard grill:

Use a long-handled lighter or matches to start the fire and avoid using gasoline, kerosene, or other flammable liquids to ignite it.

Open the grill lid before lighting the fire and wait for a few seconds to let the gas dissipate.

Keep a fire extinguisher or a bucket of sand and water nearby in case of an emergency.

Don’t overheat the grill or leave it unattended while in use.


By following these simple tips, you can enjoy a safe and fun backyard BBQ without any risks.

Causes of the Fire: Potential Reasons Why the Fire Occurred

Using a gas can to light a backyard grill can result in a severe fire accident due to the flammable nature of gasoline. Other potential reasons for the fire accident may include the following:

  • Improper handling of flammable liquids
  • Forgetting to turn off the gas after grilling
  • Malfunctioning grill equipment
  • Leaving the grill unattended while in use
  • Poor placement of the grill near flammable objects, such as trees or wooden structures

To prevent such accidents, it is essential to exercise caution and follow proper safety protocols while grilling, such as keeping a fire extinguisher nearby, using grill equipment according to the manufacturer’s directions, and never leaving the grill unattended while in use.

Prevention Tips: Tips to Avoid a Similar Incident

Prevention tips are essential to avoid accidents like the severe burns incident caused by a man lighting a backyard grill with a gas can. Following safety measures while operating a grill is crucial to prevent similar incidents.

Here are some tips to ensure safety while grilling:

  • Always read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your grill.
  • Keep your grill at least 10 feet away from your house or any flammable material.
  • Check for gas leaks regularly and do a soapy water test to detect any leaks.
  • Store flammable liquids and combustible materials away from the grill area.
  • Use long-handled grilling tools, and wear protective gloves and clothing.
  • Never leave a lit grill unattended.
  • Keep a fire extinguisher nearby and know how to use it.

Following these simple steps will help ensure a safe and enjoyable grilling experience free of accidents.

Treatment and Recovery: How to Treat Severe Burns

Severe burns are a medical emergency that requires prompt treatment to prevent infection and promote healing. If you or someone you know suffers from severe burns, follow these steps for treatment and recovery:

1. Stop the burning process: Remove the source of the burn immediately, whether it’s flames or hot liquid. Smother the flames with a blanket or roll on the ground to extinguish them.

2. Cool the burn: Rinse the burned area with cool water for at least 20 minutes to reduce pain and swelling. Avoid using ice or cold water, which can further damage the skin.

3. Cover the burn: Use a sterile gauze or bandage to cover the burned area and protect it from infection. Do not use adhesive bandages or ointments, as they can trap heat and moisture.

4. Seek medical attention: If the burn is severe or covers a large area of the body, seek emergency medical treatment immediately. The doctor may prescribe antibiotics or pain medication to aid in the recovery process.


Recovery from burns can be a long and painful process. It is essential to stay hydrated, eat a healthy diet, and get plenty of rest during the recovery period. Pro Tip: Always prioritize safety when lighting grills or working with fire in any capacity to prevent severe burns.

Health and Safety Regulations: Local Laws and Regulations

It is crucial to understand and follow health and safety regulations, including local laws and regulations when it comes to using a backyard grill or any other equipment that involves fire or gas.

The incident of a man suffering severe burns in a backyard grill fire while lighting it with a gas can is a warning to everyone. This accident could have been easily avoided if the man had followed the manufacturer’s instructions and used the proper equipment to light the grill instead of a gas can.

To prevent such incidents, it is essential to familiarize yourself with the safety instructions in the manual before operating any equipment, use the right equipment and tools for the job, and follow all local laws and regulations concerning the use of grills or other equipment involving fire or fuel.

Remember, safety should always come first. It is better to take preventive measures than to suffer from severe injuries.

Insurance Coverage: What Insurance Covers in This Situation

Homeowner’s insurance policies typically provide coverage for injuries and property damage caused by accidents, including incidents involving backyard grill fires.

However, each policy is different, so it’s essential to review your coverage carefully to understand what is covered in your situation.

In the case of a man who suffered severe burns from lighting his backyard grill with a gas can, the homeowner’s insurance would likely cover the medical costs, damage to his home or property, and any liability claims that may arise from the incident.

It’s crucial to note that intentional acts, such as setting fire to one’s property, are typically not covered under homeowner’s insurance policies.

Therefore, it’s essential to take necessary safety precautions, such as reading the grill’s instructions and using proper equipment, to minimize accidents while using a backyard grill.

Conclusion: Summary of the Incident and Safety Tips

In summary, a man suffered severe burns in a backyard grill fire after he attempted to light the grill with a gas can, which caused an explosion. This incident highlights the importance of following safety measures when operating a grill to prevent similar accidents.

Here are some safety tips to keep in mind when using a backyard grill:

1. Use a grill lighter or long-handled matches to light the grill.

2. Never use gasoline, kerosene, or other highly flammable liquids to start a fire in the grill.

3. Keep a fire extinguisher or a bucket of sand nearby in case of emergencies.

4. Do not leave the grill unattended, and keep children and pets away from the grilling area.

By following these safety tips, you can enjoy grilling outdoors without risking your safety. Remember, safety always comes first.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *